This impressive building complex - a former brewery building - has more than 1,600 square metres of exhibition space that is used for thematic exhibitions and solo projects.
For the imposing boiler house with its height and side length of around 20 metres and the traces of previous use preserved on the walls, international artists* have realised site-specific works, so far Alexandra Bircken (2021 / 2022), Nik Nowak (2020 / 2021), Bettina Pousttchi (2019 / 2020), Thomas Scheibitz (2018 / 2019), Haegue Yang (2017 / 2018), David Claerbout (2016 / 2017) and Roman Signer (2014 / 2015).
The three floors of the former Maschinenhaus each offer around 400 sqm of exhibition space for solo and group exhibitions, as well as the M1 VideoSpace, newly established in 2020. In the former Sudhaus, visitors are now served by "Café Babette" - in the warmer months also in the beer garden "Babette's Garden" under shady plane trees on the forecourt.
Today's industrial monument was built between 1926 and 1930 according to the design of the architects Hans Claus and Richard Schepke in the Neue Sachlichkeit style. The brewery's Sudhaus with its six huge copper brew pans - the largest in Europe at the time - was once known as the "Palace of Berlin Beer Culture". After its partial destruction during the Second World War, it was rebuilt in the early 1950s under the cinema architect Gerhard Fritsche, who also designed the "Zoo Palast" cinema in Berlin.
The conversion of the listed ensemble of Maschinenhaus, Sudhaus, tower and Kesselhaus into a centre for contemporary art is thanks to the visionary idea of Salome Grisard and Burkhard Varnholt, who acquired the building complex in 2011 and had it carefully renovated. Through historically sensitive conversion measures - for example, opening up the individual exhibition levels through a foyer with an external staircase in exposed concrete and glass - a modern, versatile presentation space for art was created while at the same time preserving the industrial character of the building.